I have now moved into my new homestay and met most of my school's faculty. To say the least, it has been a whirlwind of activity. I should start off by saying that my new family, which consists of a father, a grandmother and three daughters (I haven't seen the mother as of yet) are very kind. The daughters names are Harin (15 years old), Han Seul (8 years old) and Eun Woo (7 years old). It should be interesting to see how this plays out.
There is a massive language barrier as I don't speak Korean and they don't speak English. Communication has been low and the meals awkward. Occasionally, the father asks me a question to which I can only respond "nay?" which means "yes?" It is a strange situation for everyone. I am not extremely thrilled with the fact that it will take me months just to communicate simple ideas with the people I will spend a majority of my time. The daughters don't look particularly pleased to have a strange man move into what used to be their room. It might take a while for them to warm up, as would be expected. The grandmother tells me I am handsome, which I believe is a polite way of saying that she thinks I am an idiot.
I do not actually live in Gurye but rather a small village next to Gurye. I will give the name of the village later (when I know for sure how to pronounce it). I get the feeling that they do not run into Asian Americans very often around here. Every time I open my mouth people look at me like I just punched a kitten. As soon as I tell them "Mi Guk Saram e ae oh (I am an American)," they interpret that as "speak faster!" I never had such difficulty buying a bottle of water. The elderly are particularly incredulous to my situation. As far as they are concerned, I am a Korean man who does not speak the language. I would say that I can not speak the language, but maybe I am just splitting hairs.
The other teachers, especially the principal have been very kind to me. In fact, most Americans would say that they are being a little too kind. They have made it their objective to make me feel as comfortable as possible. The intensity of their kindness has sometimes been a little overwhelming at times. For example, when I mentioned that I was going to look into the price of a scooter, they took that as "let's buy the foreigner a scooter!" Since I was told that it would be a bad idea to turn down their generous offer, I just left it as that and learned that next time I should be a little more cautious about voicing hypotheticals. It was a very kind idea, but it was a little more than I deserved, being that I have not even taught a class yet. They have quickly accepted me into the "teacher family" and I can be nothing less than grateful for that. I have never been in a situation where a group was so welcoming on the first day. My co-teacher and I get along great (she would prefer to be called Mrs. Lee). The other English teachers are also pleased to have another ETA at their school and only now do I lament my decision to only take one grammar course in college.
Overall, my school is a good place with good people and my homestay family is warm and inviting (though grandma won't let me help with dishes because I am so... handsome).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Haha glad to hear they're treating you well. Be sure to eat lots of kimchi. I had two little nieces come to my host family last night, while playing Uno with them one of them let out the biggest fart I've heard in my life and I couldn't stop myself from falling over laughing... It was awkwardly funny, because nobody else even batted an eye.
Post a Comment