Sunday, August 24, 2008

First Day of School

Today was my first day of school and things went fairly well. Normally, I am supposed to teach three classes on Monday, but because of some scheduling confusion, I taught a total of fifteen minutes today. Most of my day was spent getting to know the other teachers. Some were certainly more interested in the Korean-looking foreigner than others. It was definitely a learning experience for me in many ways except teaching.
I must stress to Americans teaching in Korea that smiling and looking friendly is extremely important. Being approachable is paramount to establishing good relations here. Most questions I asked other teachers were completely useless because they did not understand the question nor did they know how to reply. When they ask me questions, then I can respond to their English limitations. We do not get a lot accomplished in those terribly awkward moments, but at least it starts a dialogue.
Making friends will make this experience much more fun and valuable. However, I must admit that it can be a bit exhausting. Apparently, I will play baseball, ping pong, soccer, basketball, volleyball, and go mountain climbing with various other teachers "soon." Something tells me that Koreans are not as quick to absent-mindedly make plans with other people. They might actually mean what they say, in which case I will be dead "soon."
It is also a little tiring being the only native English speaker. Many people want to practice their English and ask me if their "words are correct." It also has occured to me why this experience can and will be difficult. As the only native English speaker, I am always on. Many conversations among friends can be like hiccups (kind of an unintentional reaction). Here, a person has to really think about what they are saying with the hopes that they are understood.
Regardless of the trials and tribulations that are inevitably going to surface for me as a teacher in Korea, there is no better way to learn a language and culture than having it slammed into your head. Moderation be damned.

No comments: