Monday, December 29, 2008

In Retrospect

Now that my first semester is over, I have some time to reflect on the whole experience. It's safe to say that I've grown fond of the students, though it will be nice to get away from teaching for a while. Certainly I can only sympathize with my high school teachers.

In America, I think it's important to remind the high school kids that what happens at that time doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. No matter what, life will go on. It's harder for Korean students to grasp that concept simply because school is all they know. Every day, and every other Saturday, they go to school from dawn to 10 PM. The other day, a student asked me what I meant about "enjoying life." She had no idea what I was talking about and then demanded that I give her a multiple choice response. Is "enjoying life" a) making money b) getting married c) being famous. It's quite shocking to hear that without a hint of irony, yet many students seem to be in the same boat. Lesson learned. The next time a student asks me what I want from life, I'll just say "to be a doctor."

My school hosted a festival for the students in which each class performs a skit on stage. It's kind of funny because the teachers seem to think that the students love it while the students admited to me that they hated these festivals. Sadly, I was also a victim as I found myself playing the guitar in a Santa suit. I'll say it again, I'm just not very good at the guitar and I never really was. Nevertheless, we all got a good laugh out of it.

For all those who have a Korean culture book or something of that sort, take that information with a grain of salt. Korea's culture is definitely a constant work in progress. The generational gap is very significant as the younger generation lives in an entirely different world than the older one. Kids here are pretty much the same as in America, although I would contend that novelty doesn't wear off quite as fast in Korea as it does in the States (I'm still milking the foreign teacher card). The popular culture is only different in that there is no age distinction. People from ages 5 to 50 listen to the same music and try to dress in the same fashion. I haven't seen much of a counter culture, save the occassional kid in a Metallica shirt.

Food is certainly something that transcends generations. No matter who I eat with, my eating habits are being scrutinized. I went to dinner with some of the students, thinking that I could relax since I was the oldest and technically the authority figure. Yet, when I couldn't finish the enormous pile of rice, they (especially the female students) were poised to forcing it down my throat. One of them even went so far as to say that we couldn't leave until I finished my rice. Lately my host sisters have been telling me that I've been gaining weight. Well hot dawg, I wonder how that happened?

Christmas just wasn't quite the same here. The commercialism of the holidays is quite prevalent, but the general societal truce wasn't. My host sisters don't have the faintest idea what Christmas means for Americans, except for the presents. Of course I've learned by now that I should never come home empty handed if I am gone for more than 12 hours. If they hear so much as a plastic bag they rush me before I can get both feet indoors. Their look of disappointment is priceless when my bag is filled with school supplies.

2008 is almost over and I just want to say that next year looks promising. Teaching gets easier, Korean becomes more understandable, and I'm getting fatter. I'm sure by the end of July 2009, I'll be a jolly bilingual teacher.

No comments: